● About the Laboratory
Our goal is to develop neural prosthetics for those patients suffering from neural disorders. In the research, emphasis is given in developing novel, nano technology based methods to enhance performance while reducing cost. Application areas include cochlear implant, artificial retina, and deep-brain stimulation systems as well as nerve regeneration and tissue culture. This area becomes even more exciting with the introduction of some novel nano particles and stem cells (iPS) that have been discovered recently. Active collaboration exists with medical schools of respective discipline.
● Research Area
To attain above mentioned areas of research, our work is diverse, and interdisciplinary in nature. FOr example, one of us may be working in fabrication issues to develop efficent and safe neural interface, while others may be involved with electrical engineering issues such as efficient power telemetry circuit. One can work on effective stem cell differentiation from iPS cells while another focuses his work on use of nano magnetic particles for neural interface. We value basic and fundamental researches, but at the same time strive to make our solutions practical.
Research Interests & Projects
● Research Interests
- Brain Stimulation(Deep Brain Stimulation, Cortical Stimulation, Spinal Cord Stimulation)
- Artificial Retina (Retinal Implant, Vision Prosthesis)
- Cochlear Implant
- Dental Implant (Nerve Regeneration, Bone Regeneration)
- Optical Interface for Neural Prosthesis (Biophotonics)
- Nanophotonics or nanochemistry appliable to neural engineering
- Cell Engineering (iPS related)
- Biomimetic Cochlear Implant Using Zero-power Artificial Basilar Membrane
- Nano Artificial Retina using novel polymers
- Bionic Neural Interface (Brain and Spinal Cord Stimulation)
- Bioreactor for cell growth for dental application
- Neural Regeneration of peripheral nerves
Journals & Patents
● International Journals
1. "Parallel Recording of Neurotransmitters Release from Chromaffin Cells Using a 10x10 CMOS IC Potentiostat Array with On-Chip Working Electrodes", Brian Namghi Kim, Adam D. Herbst, Sung June Kim, Bradley A. Minch, Manfred Lindau, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Sep, 2012.
2. "Vision Rehabilitation by Electrical Retinal Stimulation: Review of Microelectrode Approaches", Jong-Mo Seo, Kyung Hwan Kim, Yong-Sook Goo, Kwang-Suk Park, Sung June Kim, Dong-Il "Dan" Cho and Hum Chung, Sensors and Materials, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 153-164, 2012.
3. "VPL-DBS on neuropathic pain rat is effective in mechanical allodynia but cold allodynia", Jaehyung Kim, Jinhyung Kim, Kyou Sik Min, Sung Eun Lee, Sung June Kim, and Jin Woo Chang, Neurological Sciences, online published.
4. "A Flexible Depth Probe using Liquid Crystal Polymer", Sung Eun Lee, Sang Beom Jun, Hyun Joo Lee, Jinhyung Kim, Seung Woo Lee, Hyung-Cheul Shin, Jin Woo Chang, and Sung June Kim, IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 59, No. 7, pp. 2085-2094., 2012.
5. "Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP), an Attractive Substrate for Retinal Implant", Joonsoo Jeong, Seung Woo Lee, Kyou Sik Min, Soowon Shin, Sang Beom Jun and Sung June Kim, Sensors and Materials, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 189-203, 2012.
6. "Magnetic Resonance Imaging Compatibility of the Polymer-based Cochlear Implant", Jin Ho Kim, Kyou Sik Min, Soon Kwan An, Joon Soo Jeong, Sang Beom Jun, Min Hyoung Cho, Young-Don Son, Zang-Hee Cho, and Sung June Kim, Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol, Vol. 5, no. Suppl 1, pp. S19-S23, 2012.
7. "In vivo optical neural recording using fiber-based surface plasmon reson", Shin Ae Kim, Sung June Kim, Hyowon Moon, and Sang Beom Jun,Optics Letters, Vol. 37, Issue 4, pp. 614-616 ,2012.
8. "Biphasic Electrical Currents Stimulation Promotes both Proliferation and Differentiation of Fetal Neural Stem Cells", Keun-A Chang*, Jin Won Kim*, Jeong a Kim*, Sung Eun Lee, Saeromi Kim, Won Hyuk Suh, Hye-Sun Kim, Sunghoon Kwon, Sung June Kim+, Yoo-Hun Suh+, PLoS ONE, vol. 6, issue 4, Apr 2011, e18738
9. "Effects of combining electrical stimulation with BDNF gene transfer on the regeneration of crushed rat sciatic nerve", Mohammad Alrashdan, Mi-Ae Sung, Yunhee Kim Kwon, Hun-Jong Chung, Sung-June Kim, and Jong-Ho Lee, Acta Neurochirurgica, Vol. 153, no. 10, pp. 2021-2029, 2011.
10. "Multiphysics Neuron Model for Cellular Volume Dynamics", Lee Jonghwan, D. A. Boas, and Kim Sung June, Biomedical Engineering, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 3000-3003, 2011.
11. Monolithic Encapsulation of Implantable Neuroprosthetic Devices Using Liquid Crystal Polymers", Lee Seung Woo, Min Kyou Sik, Jeong Joonsoo, Kim Junghoon, and Kim Sung June, Biomedical Engineering, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 2255-2263, 2011..
12. "Enhancement of localized surface plasmon resonance detection by incorporating metal-dielectric double-layered subwavelength gratings," Seong Min Jang, Donghyun Kim, Seung Ho Choi, Kyung Min Byun, and Sung June Kim, Applied Optics, vol. 50, no. 18, Jun, 2011, pp. 2846-2854.
13. "Preliminary Approach of Real-Time Monitoring in vitro Matrix Mineralization Based on Surface Plasmon Resonance Detection,", Shin Ae Kim, Sumit Das, Howon Lee, Junghoon Kim, Yun Mi Song, In Sook Kim, Kyung Min Byun, Soon Jung Hwang, and Sung June Kim, Biotechnologyand Bioengineering, Volume 108, Issue 6, June 2011, pp. 1473-1478.
14. "Quantitative model for the change of optical resonance in neural activity detection systems based on surface plasmon resonance," Seung Ho Choi, Sung June Kim, Chang-Hwan Im, Shin Ae Kim and Daejoong Kim, Optics & Laser Technology, vol. 43, Issue 5, July 2011, pp. 938-948.
15. " Functional Regeneration of a Severed Peripheral Nerve with a 7 mm Gap in Rats through the use of an Implantable Electrical Stimulator and a Conduit Electrode with Collagen Coating ", Tae Hyung Lee, Hui Pan, In Sook Kim, Jin Kyu Kim, Tae Hyung Cho, Ji Hye Oh, Young Bong Yoon, Jong Ho Lee, Soon Jung Hwang, and Sung June Kim, Neuromodulation, Vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 299-305(7pp), 2010.
16. "Optical monitoring of neural networks evoked by focal electrical stimulation on microelectrode arrays using FM dyes", Sang Beom Jun, Karen L. Smith, William Shain, Natalie M. Dowell-Mesfin, Sung June Kim, and Matthew R. Hynd, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 933-941(pp8), 2010
17. "Surface-enhanced localized surface plasmon resonance biosensing of avian influenza DNA hybridization using subwavelength metallic nanoarrays", Shin Ae Kim, Kyung Min Byun, Kyujung Kim, Sung Min Jang, Kyungjae Ma, Youngjin Oh, Donghyun Kim, and Sung June Kim, Nanotechnolgy, Vol. 21, no. 35, 355503(6pp), 2010.
18. "Characteristics of light emission from surface plasmons based on rectangular silver gratings ", Seung Ho Choi, Sung June Kim, and Kyung Min Byun, Optics Communications, Vol. 283, Issue 14, pp. 2961-2966.
19. "Spectrum measurement of fast optical signal of neural activity in brain tissue and its theoretical origin", Jonghwan Lee and Sung June Kim, NeuroImage, Vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 713-722, 2010.
20. "Development of microelectrode arrays for artificial retinal implants using liquid crystal polymers", S. W. Lee, J. M. Seo, S. Ha, E. T. Kim, H. Chung, and S. J. Kim, Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, Vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 5859-5866, Dec. 2009.
21. "Feasibility of microelectrode array (MEA) based on silicone-polyimide hybrid for retina prosthesis", E. T. Kim, C. Kim, S. W. Lee, J. M. Seo, H. Chung, and S. J. Kim, Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, Vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 4337-4341, Sep. 2009.
22. "Novel effect of biphasic electric current on in vitro osteogenesis and cytokine production in human mesenchymal stromal cells", I. S. Kim, J. K. Song, Y. M. Song, T. H. Cho, T. H. Lee, S. S. Lim, S. J. Kim, and S. J. Hwang, Tissue Eng Part A, Vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 2411-2422, Sep. 2009.
23. "Detection of Avian Influenza-DNA Hybridization Using Wavelength-scanning Surface Plasmon Resonance Biosensor", Shin-Ae Kim, Sung-June Kim, Sang-Hun Lee, Tai-Hyun Park, Kyung-Min Byun, Sung-Guk Kim, and Michael L. Shuler, J. Opt. Soc. Korea, Vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 392-397, 2009.
24. "Enhancement of cellular olfactory signal by electrical stimulation", Sang Hun Lee, Se Hoon Jeong, Sang Beom Jun, Sung June Kim, and Tai Hyun Park, ELECTROPHORESIS, Vol. 30, no. 18, pp. 3283-3288, 2009.
25. "Finite-difference Time-domain Study on Birefringence Changes of the Axon During Neural Activation", Jong-Hwan Lee and Sung-June Kim, J. Opt. Soc. Korea, Vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 272-278, 2009.
26. "An electronic device for accelerating bone formation in tissues surrounding a dental implant", Jong K. Song, Tae H. Cho, Hui Pan, Yoon M. Song, In S. Kim, Tae H. Lee, Soon J. Hwang, and Sung J. Kim, Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 374-384, 2009.
27. "Design study for transmission improvement of resonant surface plasmons using dielectric diffraction gratings", Seung Ho Choi, Sung June Kim, and Kyung Min Byun, Appl. Opt., Vol. 48, no. 15, pp. 2924-2931, 2009.
28. "Effect of target localization on the sensitivity of a localized surface plasmon resonance biosensor based on subwavelength metallic nanostructures", Kyung Min Byun, Seong Min Jang, Sung June Kim, and Donghyun Kim, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1027-1034, 2009.
29. "Cell-based olfactory biosensor using microfabricated planar electrode", Sang Hun Lee, Sang Beom Jun, Hwi Jin Ko, Sung June Kim, and Tai Hyun Park, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 2659-2664, 2009.
30. "Activity-dependent neuronal cell migration induced by electrical stimulation", Se Jeong, Sang Jun, Jong Song, and Sung Kim, Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, Vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 93-99, 2009.
1. "Neurostimulation and neural recording electrode array and the development method of the same", Sung June Kim, Kyou Sik Min, submitted, registration no. KR 10-2012-01432733, registration date 2012.12.11.
2. “OLFACTORY SENSOR FOR INCREASING OLFACTORY REACTION AND METHOD FOR INCREASING OLFACTORY REACTION USING THEREOF” Tae Hyun Park, Sung June Kim, Sang Hoon Lee, Se Hoon Jeong, Sang Beom Jun, registrated, KR10-1129474.
3. "Bio-reactor using electrical stimulation", Sung June Kim, Soon Jung Hwang, Junghoon Kim, Taehyung Lee, In Sook Kim, registrated KR10-1105074
4. "Optical brain response monitoring device for closed-loop deep brain stimulation", Jonghwan Lee, Choong Jae Lee, Sung June Kim, registrated, KR101069153
5. "Development Methods of Flexible Electronics and Memory Devices using LCP", Sung Eun Lee, Gun Jae Lee, Noori Jun, Jaehwan Byun, Hynryul Ryu, Sung June Kim, submitted, KR-20110012806, submitted dated 2011. 02. 14.
6. "Method and device for neural user interface and brain activity measuring device for the same", Sung June Kim, Jonghwan Lee, registrated, KR-101028949
7. "Method and method for measuring neural signal using optical fiber", Jonghwan Lee, Sung June Kim, registrated, KR-101045866
8. "Apparatus and System for Wireless Power Transmission Using Dual Transmitter Coils”, Kyungsik Eom, Sung June Kim, Joonsoo Jeong, Seung Woo Lee, submitted, KR 1020110029112