INFOLAB focuses on mathematical analyses and algorithmic developments of statistical signals. Research freedom is the first principle of INFOLAB and all researches are aiming at highest standards. INFOLAB is currently conducting researches on various image processing such as frame rate conversion of videos and 3D image processing. Previous research areas include digital watermarking, digital fingerprinting, biometrics, biomedical signal processing, image coding, transmission error effects in image communications, image error concealment, synchronous data compression for high speed modem, multistatic sonar systems, and voice activity detection for wireless communications.
Research Interests & Projects
Recent research fields
- Signal processing for the digital TV: Many signal processing technologies are in use to improve the image quality of the digital TV. We have worked on image compression and frame rate conversion for the LCD TV.
- 3D image/video signal processing: We have interests in many signal processing technologies for 3D(Stereoscopic) images, in particular, frame rate conversion for 3D images and automatic 2D-3D image conversion.
- Scene geometry classification: We analyze scene geometry of images and develop algorithms that classify images according to its geometry. The methods can be used in various applications such as image feature extraction, image similarity evaluation, image database, and 2D-3D image conversion.
- Analysis of Human Visual System: We analyze the human visual system and make use of the human vision characteristics for the image processing. This research can be applied to 2D images as well as 3D images.
Major research projects
- The improvement of the DCC controller and FRC algorithm for the TCON of the LCD display device (The Seoul Institute)
- The Development of the frame rate conversion method for 3D images (The Small & Medium Business Administration)
- Scene Geometry Classification for 2D-3D Conversion (National Research Foundation of Korea)
Journals & Patents
 Wonseok Song, Taejeong Kim, Hee Chan Kim, Joon Hwan Choi, Hyoun-Joong Kong, and Seung-Rae Lee, "A finger-vein verification system using mean curvature", Pattern Recognition Letters, Volume: 32 Issue: 11 , pp. 1541-1547, Aug. 2011.
 Hyun Wook Kim, Dooseop Choi, Hyuk Choi, and Taejeong Kim, "Selective Correlation Detector for Additive Spread Spectrum Watermarking in Transform Domain", Signal Processing, Volume: 90 Issue: 8 , pp. 2605-2610, Aug. 2010.
 Dooseop Choi, Hoseok Do, Hyuk Choi, and Taejeong Kim, "A Blind MPEG-2 Video Watermarking Robust to Camcorder Recording", Signal Processing, Volume: 90 Issue: 4 , pp. 1327-1332, Apr. 2010.
 Seong-eun Roh, Joon Hwan Choi, and Taejeong Kim, "A New Action Potential Classifier Using 3-Gaussian Model Fitting", Neurocomputing, Volume: 71 Issue: 16-18 , pp. 3631-3634, Oct. 2008.
 Joon Hwan Choi, Hae Kyung Jung and Taejeong Kim, "A New Action Potential Detector Using the MTEO and Its Effects on Spike Sorting Systems at Low Signal-to-Noise Ratios", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Volume: 53 Issue: 4 , pp. 738-746, Apr. 2006.