★ 2023 Fall Dissertation Defense Timeline
|Category||Schedule and Details||Submission Place|
|1. Online Registration and Document Submission for Dissertation Defense||∙ Tuesday, September 19, 2023 – Tuesday, October 10 at 17:00 → ~ Monday,
October 16, 2023 at 17:00
|2. Payment of Thesis Review Fee||∙ Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 09:00 - Thursday, November 2,2023 at 17:00
※ The person intending to submit the Dissertation should directly pay by bank transfer or at the designated bank.
|3.Submit your Dissertation paper for defense
〔Only applicable to Master’s students]
|∙ Monday, November 20, - Thursday, November 23, 2023 at 17:00||Department Office|
|4. Submit the results of dissertation defense||∙ Master’s: Friday, December 8, 2023 at 17:00
∙ Ph.D.: Tuesday, January 2, 2024. at 17:00
|5. Submission of Approval Document (Original) and
Dissertation Submission Confirmation Slip
|∙ Friday, January 19, 2024 – Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 17:00
※ Approval Document: The page in thedissertation where it is stated “~ thesis is approved.”
※ Related announcements are planned to be posted on the website in early January 2024
※ For reference: Last semester’s announcement
|6. Submission of Final Approved Dissertation
||∙ Friday, January 19, 2024 – Monday, February 5 at 10:00
※ Submit only the original file online without submitting a hard copy of the dissertation.
※ Failure to submit the dissertation will result in not receiving the degree.
※ Related announcements will be posted on the website in early January 2024.
※ For reference: Last semester’s announcement
|7. Request for privacy Approval on Thesis
〔Applicable only to the relevant individuals〕
|∙ From the date of the Dissertation Defense until Tuesday, January 2, 2024||Department Office|
1. Thesis Defense Eligibility
|A. Who passed the Qualifying Exam: Foreign language + major (written exam)
* Students, even if they pass the major components of the exam, are not allowed to print out
a notice if they fail the foreign language section.
Confirmations of Passing : [MySnu – Academic Affairs – Graduation – Apply for Graduation Exam - Graduation Exam Results]
(For Fall 2023, individuals who take the Qualifying Exam can check their results in the third week of October or at the end of October. Please contact the administrator in the Department Office to cancel if you fail the Qualifying Exam after registration.)
※ Since Spring 2006, the English subject in the Qualifying Exam has been replaced and is being implemented with a qualification recognition system. Eligible individuals (those who have not been recognized for previous passing) must obtain the minimum score set by the College of Engineering on either the TEPS or TOEFL before submitting dissertation defense documents (by early March or early September each semester) and must submit their scores to the Department Office.
B. Course Credit Completion and Grade
C. Achievement: Presentation at an academic conference or journal paper
※ After completing the course, 4 years for Master's, 6 years for Ph.D. (Not applicable for enrolled students. Only applicable for students who have completed the course.)
※ If the above period has passed, please check with the administration office (email@example.com)
※ Note: Please refer to Last semester's announcement
E. In the case of those who have completed the course, registration as a graduate researcher is required.
F. Doctoral degree: Those who completed the preliminary defense in the last semester.
|A. Period: Tuesday, September 9, 2023 – Tuesday, October 10 at 17:00 → ~ Monday,
October 16, 2023 at 17:00 ★Important!!★
B. After submit the online application, print the application documents and submit them to the administration office staff.
*Application page (https://ee.snu.ac.kr/graduation/> login > apply and print the pdf
After applying, announcements will be sent to the email entered, so please use a frequently used email.
* Personal information (including bank account number, social security number (identification number)) of external reviewers is mandatory. Please check the attached file below in advance and enter accurate information.★Important!!★
* In the 'Major' field: Check the box for your advisor's field. Please refer to the reference page. (For Biomedical Engineering, check 'Bio').
* In the 'Review Committee Information' field: Please check “Committee (Internal)” for all professors from Seoul National University.
* In the 'Payment Confirmation' field: When submitting application documents, please check the “Dissertation Review Fee” section and submit.
* If you wish to cancel your application after online application, please contact the responsible person via email. firstname.lastname@example.org
C. Documents to submit
|A. Period: Tuesday, October 24,2023 at 9:00 – Thursday, November 2, 2023 at 17:00 ★Important!!★
B. Examination Fee: Master's 100,000 KRW, Doctorate 300,000 KRW
C. Payment Procedure:
[Mysnu > Academic Information > Graduation > Thesis-related > Thesis Examination Fee Notice > Transfer via virtual account or pay directly to the designated bank]
D. Exemption: Those who have been approved for the extension of the doctorate dissertation defense period in Spring 2023 are exempt from payment
4-1. [Only for Master's] Submit 3 Copies of the Thesis for Examination
|A. Dissertation for Defense: Submit the dissertation prepared to date, which is submitted before the defense. There is no specific format.
B. Submission Period & Place: Submit to the department administrative officer from Monday, 20, 2023 – Thursday, November 23, 2023
C. Details: Write "Program, Student ID, Name, Examiner Professor's Name" in pencil at the bottom right of the first page of each dissertation.
D. Note: If submitting individually to the examiners instead of submitting to the department office, please inform the department administrative officer via email.
E. For Submission to the Department Office: Email submissions are not allowed. Only hard copies are accepted.
[Note for Master's Thesis Presentation]
a. Master's Thesis Public Presentation: Scheduled for Friday, December 1, 2023. (Location: TBA on the website after dissertation defense registration).
* Schedule will be checked via email after mid-October
b. Dissertation Defense Duration: The presentation is 15 minutes, followed by a Q&A and review, room arrangement, and next presenter transition totaling 25 minutes.
c. Documents Required Before Presentation: (Attachment 01-2) Dissertation Defense Summary, Dissertation Defense Evaluation Form
d. Note: Please fill in the details including department, student ID, name, thesis title, etc., on (Attachment 01-2) and submit it directly to the chair of the committee.
4-2. [Only for Doctorate] Submit 5 Copies of Dissertation for Defense
|Please deliver directly to the 5 professors one week before the dissertation defense presentation.
[Note for Doctoral Dissertation Presentation]
a. [Doctoral Pre-defense (Public Presentation) Schedule: Monday, October 23, 2023. - Friday, December 1
* Schedule will be checked via email after mid-October.
(You can refer to the pre-defense dates; however, proceeding after December 1 will be acceptable. A total of two, including pre and final defenses should be conducted.
b. Change of Pre-defense Schedule: Please be sure to inform the department administrative officer via email after checking the schedule in the late October. Failing of this will result in confusion among seminar participants. (No relevant matter for the final-defense schedule!!)
c. Preliminary Exam Schedule & Venue: To be updated occasionally on [Department Homepage > Community > Academic] (Seminar participants will attend the thesis examination presentation based on this announcement.)
d. Dissertation Defense Venue: Please reserve personally.
e. Documents Required Before Presentation: (Attachment 02-2) Dissertation Defense Result Sheet, Dissertation Defense Summary, Oral Exam Score Sheet, Voting Paper, etc.
f. Note: Please fill in the details including department, student ID, name, dissertation title, etc., on (Attachment 02-2) and submit it directly to the chair of the committee.
5. Submitting Dissertation Defense Results
|Master’s||※ Submission Deadline: Until Friday, December 8, 2023 at 17:00 ★Important!!★
○ Submit documents in the order below (refer to Attachment 01-2)
○ In case of withdrawing the examination: Documents are required to submit (Withdrawal Application Form). (Refer to Attachment 03)
1. One copy of Master’s Degree Dissertation Defense Summary
2. Once copy of Master’s Degree Dissertation Defense Evaluation Form
3. Achievment Documents: Submit both ① and ②
① Document proving that you have presented at least one paper at an academic conference or submitted at least one paper to a journal, with your name listed as the first author, excluding the advisor (Acceptable as a conference or journal paper only when the advisor is included in the author list).
② 1 copy of the first page of the submitted paper
※ When submitting a copy of the first page of the submitted paper: The names of the journal and the academic conference must be specified.
※ Academic Conference: If the conference name is not on the first page of the paper → Submit additional proof of attendance documents (e.g., section of the conference program book with your name, Acceptance email, etc.)
4. One copy of the thesis abstract both in Korean and English
|Ph.D.||※ Submission Deadline: Until Tuesday, January 2, 2024 at 17:00 ★Important!!★
○ Submit documents in the order below (refer to Attachment 02-2)
○ In cases of withdrawing or extending the evaluation: Documents are required to submit (Withdrawal Application and Extension Application). (Refer to Attachment 03)
1. One copy of the Doctoral Dissertation Defense Result Sheet
2. One copy of the Doctoral Dissertation Evaluation Summary
3. Five copies of the Oral Presentation Score Sheet
4. Five ballots
5. One Recommendation Letter for the Excellent Doctoral Dissertation Award
[only for relevant persons]
6. One copy of the Preliminary Exam Evaluation Report for Doctoral
Dissertation [See 'Preliminary Exam Evaluation Report Documents –
Explanation’ listed in item number 6 below]
7. Achievement Documents: Submit both ① and ②
In case your name is the first among the paper authors, excluding the
① Documents that can prove that the paper has been or is scheduled to be
published in internationally recognized journals ('international journals')
② Submit at least one piece of international conference papers, domestic
journal papers, or registered international patents.
※ For submitted paper first-page copy submission: The names of the
journal and academic conference must be specified
※ International Academic Conference: If the conference name is not on the first page of the paper → Submit additional proof of attendance documents (e.g., section of the conference program book with your name, Acceptance email, etc.)
8. One copy each of the thesis abstract in Korean/English
9. One copy of the Doctoral Degree Journal Achievement Checklist
※Signatures from both the individual and the advisor (or a stamp) are
<6. Preliminary Exam Report Documents - Explanation>
a. Write according to the attached file example
b. Submit with all the dates from the preliminary exam to the final-defense written (total of 4 or more evaluation records, counting the committee formation date and the actual preliminary exam date as separate instances)
c. Example: a. Committee Formation Date / b. Preliminary Exam Date / c. First Pre-defense Date / d. Second Pre-defense Date (if applicable) / 4. Desired Date & Time for Final-defense
|Both Master’s and Ph.D.||○ [Applicable to Relevant Individuals] Submitting the Dissertation Committee Change Application (See Attachment 03)
10. If the Dissertation committee is changed after Tuesday, October 10, please submit the Committee Change Application to the department office (Submit before the public dissertation presentation date!!).
○ [Applicable to Relevant Individuals] Request for Approval for Dissertation Non-Disclosure (See Attachment 03)
Possible only in the following three cases:
① (Domestic/International) Patent application (planned) ② Military secrets ③ In cases where a confidentiality agreement has been signed with a company
※ Approval from the advising professor is required, and “academic journal publication” is not acceptable.
※ Non-disclosure applications can be made for up to a maximum of 3 years (until the end of February 2027). Supporting documents are essential.
○ [Applicable to Relevant Individuals] Non-submitters of Archive Copy of the Dissertation (See Attachment 03)
Those who do not submit the 'Dissertation for Preservation' should submit documents (an appeal letter (a statement of reasons) for non-submission of archivethe thesis for preservation) to the department office: until Tuesday, January 2, 2024 at 17:00.
※ Non-submission of the thesis for preservation means delaying graduation by one semester after completing the dissertation defense.
○ Graduate students up to the class of 2013 will retain the department name 'Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering' until graduation.
○ Regarding the master's degree acquisition of Integrated Master’s & Doctoral Program completers: Relevant notice
○ Refreshments for the Dissertation: Individual guidance will be provided to those who have submitted their dissertation for defense.
6. Schedule After Dissertation Defense
|○ Submission to the Library: Dissertation Submission
※ For detailed information regarding the final submission of the dissertation (approval sheet submission), please check the announcement scheduled for the beginning of January 2024: "Submission Guide for the Final Approved Dissertation for Fall 2023 Academic Year (Archive Copy of Dissertation)".
1. Submit only the original file online without submitting a hard copy of the dissertation.
2. Only PDF files can be uploaded.
3. Submission period: Friday, January 19, 2024 - Monday, February 5, 2024 at 10:00 AM
★ You can edit until midnight, but please submit comfortably by 10 AM at the latest to avoid any potential issues during editing.
○ Documents to be submitted to the Department Office
① Dissertation Submission Verification Form ② Approval Sheet (Original) ③ Dissertation Cover ④ First Page of the Dissertation Introduction
Upcoming schedules and documents: Please refer to last semester’s notice (Spring 2023)
○ Approval Sheet
1. Signatures / seals are acceptable. If the signature is a copy, definitive proof (such as an email) confirming the review committee member's approval must be submitted (proof is required for all committee members whose signatures are copies).
2. If the "Non-submitters of Archive Copy of the Dissertation" and "Applicants for Extension of Defense Period (Doctoral)" from the last semester are graduating this semester, the approval and submission dates must be within this semester. Dates from the last semester are not acceptable!!
○ Degree Conferment Ceremony: Scheduled for Monday, February 26, 2024
○ Inquiries: Department Office (Room 319, Building 301) / Seonhee Cho / email@example.com / 02-880-7304